Smart Transport Planning with Bluecity Lidar Sensors
Better Transport Planning with Bluecity™ Lidar Sensors
Transport demand is evolving and cities need to better understand mobility trends for all road users to anticipate what the future might look like
There has been a focus on learning about a community’s needs so that plans can be made to create, grow, or revitalize areas. In cities, especially ones with a lot of traffic, the planning of intersections, their physical configuration, and other details such as traffic light placement and their timing, are all vital parts of the process.
Decisions regarding how an intersection should operate are based on traffic data that is collected through a variety of methods, which can include inductive loops, radar and video cameras. The goals for urban and transport planners are to improve the flow of traffic at an intersection and increase safety. These can be achieved by changing many parameters, such as the timing of traffic lights, allowing right turns on red, widening the lanes, adding lanes or adding dedicated lanes.
Detailed data for improved traffic flow at intersections
Planners can improve the functionality of an intersection with detailed traffic data, but up until recently, existing methods didn’t offer the right type of information.
Inductive loops and radar were unable to provide multimodal data on vulnerable road users, or data in real-time. Safety analytics and information about vehicle speed, crashes, trajectories, or turning directions were difficult or impossible to obtain. Even when the available information was used, once adjustments were made to intersections, new studies would have to be implemented to measure the results of the changes to see if they were successful. It could take some time before a municipality could judge the changes implemented.
Radar and video cameras have been used to obtain the data cities need to make policy changes regarding intersections, but each comes with its own set of drawbacks, including cost, data limitations, privacy issues and more.
Lidar and AI for Enhanced Traffic Analytics
This is why Bluecity™ combines lidar sensors and artificial intelligence to provide real-time multimodal data for city engineers, transport planners and consulting firms involved in improving traffic flow. Bluecity iQ™ solution provides many benefits over existing systems.
- Waterproof casing for reliable 24/7 data collection in any weather or lighting conditions.
- 360-degree coverage so one sensor per intersection is usually enough
- 60-meter radius coverage for vehicles and 40-meter radius for pedestrians
- No collection of private citizen data
- One single wire for power and data
- Easy and inexpensive installation and maintenance
- Embedded NVIDIA GPU and LTE/5G IoT connectivity
- Multimodal – easily distinguishes between vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.
- Real-time tracking
- Counts of data in aggregate or disaggregate formats
- AI for better visualization and analytics
- Integration into traffic controllers
Bluecity iQ™ platform
- Gain access to count data and speed analytics per road user and trajectories
- See the most advanced safety analytics help identify dangerous intersections before accidents occur
- Stream critical conflicts
- Access automated signal performance measures
- Select filters and download data
The most accurate and reliable traffic data using a lidar sensor and Bluecity’s Edge AI processor. IndiGo AI is a powerful solution that provides information about the type of road users, the count, speed, trajectories, all in real-time.